Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wednesday Wisdom ~ Good Deeds


To be doing good deeds is man's most glorious task. 
Sophocles

I'm a believer in Karma. 
What goes around comes around.
 If you put good into the world, good things will come back to you.
 Do good for others, others will do good for you. 

This week I've been on both sides of the good deed teeter totter. 

One day last week while looking at my Etsy shop, and my activity feed. I came across a seller that makes polymer clay creations. All of them are gorgeous , but the ones that really caught my eye were the crochet hooks with beautiful polymer clay handles. 
The name of the shop is  DesignedbyChristiU , and she sells everything from tutorials to ice cream scoops and much more! 

Looking through all the beautiful crochet hooks, one really caught my eye. I liked it, and posted to my facebook page that I wanted it very badly. My intent wasn't for someone to purchase it for me, but to share it with my friends, a few of whom also crochet, and to save it for future reference. Imagine my surprise when several days later a package arrived in the mail, and upon opening it I found the beautiful crochet hook I had been swooning over. No note from the person who sent it, although I had an idea who it may have been.




 It came into the house at the perfect time. My husband and I had done what we thought was a good deed for someone else. We didn't have to do it. We saw the need, we had a solution, and we knew it was the rite thing to do. However, instead of being easy and clear cut we were being questioned about what we had done. Not by the person we had done it for ( they were VERY appreciative) , but by someone close to them who should have also been happy about what had happened.  I was upset, and questioning why we bother to help others when sometimes it's not appreciated, questioned, or others feel the need to belittle. Then the package came into the house and the answer was rite there. 

Not because we have to, but because what goes around comes around. 
Put good things out, get good things back. 
We did good, and something good came back. 

Just like we helped someone, the person who sent this to me did it not because they had to send it to me, they certainly didn't have to spend their hard earned money on a gift for someone they barely know. They did it because it felt rite in the moment, because they knew I was having a hard time lately and knew it would cheer me up. A pure and sincere gift. A good deed from the heart. Not looking for anything in return other than my happiness. 
To put a smile on my face, and happiness in my heart. 

That's why my husband and I do good deed for other as well. We've decided no matter what someone else may think, no matter what criticism may come from it, we  will continue to do good things for others as our hearts move us to do so. 

The following is a picture I found online that night, and it really sums up how we feel about good deeds. 

Have you done a good deed for someone lately? Has someone surprised you with a good deed? Leave me a comment and let me know! 




2 comments:

  1. I love this post. What goes around does come around, and I'm so happy that you got that awesome crochet hook! (Wait a minute, did you say the lady sells ice cream scoops? I don't crochet, but I sure do eat ice cream!)
    It just goes to show you that good deeds, even though they might seem to go unnoticed, they really don't. Someone somewhere appreciates the little things - as we all should, because sometimes it's really the little things that matter most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! In our world of today, it is always a breath of fresh air to hear of someone stepping forward to do the right thing, as you and your husband have done. It felt right to you - that is what matters. Not the questioning from the narrow minded.
    I have never seen my packages from the buyers view! I love that you took a picture and featured it, thank you. Your post has inspired me, thank you!

    ReplyDelete